Gynaecology or gynecology is the medical practice dealing with the health of the female reproductive system (uterus, vagina, and ovaries).
The main conditions dealt with by a gynaecologist are:
- Cancer and pre-cancerous diseases of the reproductive organs including ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, cervix, vagina, and vulva
- Incontinence of urine
- Amenorrhoea (absent menstrual periods)
- Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstrual periods)
- Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual periods); a common indication for hysterectomy
- Prolapse of pelvic organs
- Infections of the vagina (vaginitis), cervix and uterus (including fungal, bacterial, viral, and protozoal)
The gynecology clinic provides a broad range of expertise to meet the needs of women with complex conditions.All the gynaecological issues are attended in this clinic by a senior gynaecologist.